View Single Post
Old 02-18-2004, 05:26 PM   #29
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Alkanoonion wrote:
Quote:
Please I would love to review what has been done.
Say no more. As soon as we finish the final emendations and Antoine works his usual miracles, we'll send it to you. But that doesn't mean you can't chime in on those last few issues we're discussing.

Findegil wrote:
Quote:
1. Rog: I am strongly against the deletion of the character. But what is about the name? I have looked up the Quenya Lexicon, but as with Oarni it did not show any information beyond the appendix LT1. So we have "Rog" as the last form in the Tale and Q30. Or we can go back to "Rôg" as the original form in the Tale. "Rôg" seems for most of us to sound better, but "Rog" has a little bit more authority, since it is later. I am at a lose to decide anything, in that matter.
I guess that, on close consideration, I would lean toward not using the circumflex, although I do personally think it looks better that way.

Quote:
3. The tall Turgon: I would like to make at least clear that he was the tallest of all the assembly in the place of the king in Gondolin when Tuor arrived. In the Tale Tour is describe as being greater than all the Noldor, so it seems Tolkien imagined him to be tall. But here we have the statement that says that Turgon was taller than Tour and I think we should provide that information.
I see your point. I could go for "tallest of the [living] Children of the World, save Thingol". But Antoine's concern is not unjustified. Antoine, can you come up with a better emendation?

Quote:
6. The Elessar: I can live with Maédhros last version of an ominous jewel-smith
As I think about it, I do start to see more problems with Enerdhil. It's a tricky issue because while we usually deal with old text A contradicted by B (where we must update A to fit B), here we have old text A replaced by B, which is then contradicted by C. The question then is whether C justifies going back to A.

But as for the specific emendation needed in FG-C-31, I think we are agreed.

Quote:
Woh, what a speed in the project!
You can say that again! It's interesting that the project crawls along so slowly for months at a time, then moves so far in just a few days. I'll bet there's an interesting sociology paper in all this . . .
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote