View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #7
jallanite
Shade of Carn Dûm

jallanite is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
I don't believe that anyone in any way decided to reduce female roles specifically, and the point in the thread is not whether or not Doug Kane explicitly claims so, but his choice of presentation in raising this issue. Even possibly raising the question of misogyny is serious stuff in my opinion, so how one presents the matter, specifically, is important.
I really don’t understand what you are on about. I could equally claim that “even possibly raising the question of free speech is serious stuff in my opinion”, implying that you are against free speech.

Note, that I am NOT doing this. The point of this thread for me, and I started it if that matters, is not particularly Kane’s “choice of presentation in raising this issue”. That issue was only one of many points I raised. Is it your contention that any discussion of anything beyond Kane’s “choice of presentation” is not to the point of the thread? I disagree.

It was Hofstetter who originally “raised the question of misogyny” and who later rather backed down from his accusations. I don’t see that Kane is accusing Christopher Tolkien of misogyny.

Kane does indicate that Christopher Tolkien did not do a perfect job of editing his father’s work. Christopher Tolkien has explicitly said the same. This project itself is partly based on that premise.

Kane again and again expresses his puzzlement about some of Christopher Tolkien’s choices. Most of those cases also puzzle me.
jallanite is offline   Reply With Quote