View Single Post
Old 05-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #31
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Karl smiled at Jessamy when she took his hand and thanked him. She was a good and nice lass, and he was sorry she had been lead out here by some dim-witted boys. Her hands were so cold -- he wondered if this day might put her in bed for a while with a chill. Poor girl. Her only consolation he thought now would be that her family would be so relieved to get her home that they wouldn't think too much on what she had done wrong.

At her remark about the skunk he nodded thoughtfully, looking up at the sky, staring into nothing. "Yes, this place does tend to play tricks on you at times...and the weather is turning grey which doesn't help..." He shook his head and chuckled. "I wonder now if Duke found a skunk or found one of your friends. Though I doubt it. He was growling like mad at the opening of a barrow -- I doubt any of them would want to venture in there. Spooky, wights or no."

He turned his gaze back down at Jessamy as he held tightly to Duke's lead as the dog strained at it, sniffing constantly. "Sorry about Duke, he's always in a rush whenever I don't want him to be."

The dog started straining harder at his lead and Karl, distracted by trying to keep from practically dragging the poor girl along found the lead slip through his fingers. "Duke!" he yelled, afraid that the dog would just take off into the woods. The dog disappeared behind a mound and let out a few barks.

"Well, unless he's messing with me, he seems to have found something. But those aren't excited barks..."

Karl kept a pace Jessamy could manage and then went around the back of the barrow. There Duke stood over the still form of Edwin, licking at the side of his face. The other side was in the edge of a small pool of water.

"Oh no..." Karl rushed to the boy and picked him up to place him on the ground away from the pool. Perhaps he was the skunk, he thought, feeling guilt rush over him. I should have checked what it was...

"Edwin!" he called to the boy as he looked him over. He seemed untouched, no injury on his head. And he was breathing. But his eyes did not open. "What on earth..."