View Single Post
Old 11-25-2004, 10:34 AM   #53
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
The strange, wafting chill which had accompanied Faroz's private discussion with her had disconcerted Bekah. For some reason she had momentarily recalled those few minutes in the garden. The chill had been dissipated only by the fluttering of Faroz's warm breath as he whispered to her before he rose to address the assembled guests. She was relieved he had understood, though, that mistrust and jealousy were spreading because of this Emissary. She was but little surprised at his announcement, however irregular it was, for she had long thought both their children needed a specific focus for their actions. Faroz had misunderstood her over that; it was not the Emissary she was annoyed with, but Siamak himself for failing to take up the conversation with the General and, once again, running out. Perhaps later she would clarify that with him. Meanwhile, while Faroz spoke, Bekah had watched the Emissary closely for his reactions.

The man's look had been keen, polite, courteously interested. He was clearly a sophisticated, even suave courtier who understood much of courtly interactions. His lord Annatar had obviously chosen one skilled in negotiation. Yet she felt this man was also accustomed to winning his own way. It had been the slightest of suggestions until Bekah had seen the jawline harden and the eyes glint at the news he must deal with others besides the King. As Faroz had announced the precedures his children should follow before making their decision known at court, the Emissary had looked away from the King, his eyebrows signaling his dissatisfaction, until his eyes found Bekah's upon his. Scorn and derision flashed over his face for the merest second and he whispered, "This is your doing." His anger startled her but it gave her her first substantive reason to mistrust this man's mission.

"My lord makes his own decisions, Emissary, yet he takes counsel from all who understand the needs of the country." A turn of his thin lips suggested the Emissary was not impressed with such policy.

"You seem not to expect women to play a role in policy, Emissary? Does your Lord Annatar allow only men at his court?"

The Emissary had not replied to this question. As quickly as his anger had appeared, he had replaced it with a bland mask of indifference towards her.

"You misunderstand me, lady. I merely seek to understand Pashtian customs. I was not aware of the role the Queen plays in ruling the country."

"My role, Emissary, is to support the King and provide the best counsel I can to ensure the country continues prosperous and peaceful."

"Which she does droitly," interrupted Faroz, when he had returned to the table, with some interest, after observing his Queen and the Emissary in the tense, private conversation.

The Emissary gave a low and formal nod with his shoulders to the words of the King and withdrew all attention from the Queen. Faroz sought his place beside Bekah, sitting so closely beside her that her hand nearly touched the folds of his clothes which held the ring. He would know what this had been about.

"You disapprove?"

"No, Majesty, on the contrary, I believe it valuable to give the Prince and Princess such a close look at the intricacies of making decisions for the nation."

Bekah turned to the Emissary. "You see, Emissary, my Lord now seeks to know my opinion of his decision."

Faroz looked questioningly at the two of them, but the Emissary was saved from a direct reply by the arrival of Siamak and Gjeelea at the table. Bekah watched closely at the faces of her children. They had handled the surprise withe composure and for the first time she felt she could see some sense of maturity and responsibility in their faces. She listened as Siamak addressed the Emissary and made plans for meetings and she tried to read the Emissary's face at his requirement now to deal with at least two others. Then she turned to Faroz.

"My Lord, the Emissary had believed I had something to do with your decision and he spoke of his surprise that the Queen would be involved in matters of state. I assured him I had not, as your words just now have proven. His land must be very different from ours. Can we not hear from him some features of his country, which he shared so eagerly with you this day?"