View Single Post
Old 10-21-2005, 07:23 PM   #15
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebuial
I always got the impression that Gandalf WAS using The Ring Here... Well not The Ring but Narya... Isn't that what he uses it for? To instill hope in the hearts of Men (and Hobbits I guess)?
While the "uncloaking" gag runs rampant on Crazy Captions there really is a serious side to it and that is what begins to happen here. I'm not so sure that Gandalf uses Narya here but rather he uses his own innate power that has been restricted. He begins to use some of his actual power that is in his own being and threatens to use more of it if needed. After all this was Gandalf's purpose in coming to Middle-earth and though he didn't fully know that it was the one ring but I believe he had some inkling that it is and felt that Bilbo needed to be rid of the ring deep enough in his heart that he used some of his power to accomplish this.