View Single Post
Old 06-19-2002, 08:13 PM   #18
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

* As day's shadows painted an evening landscape, the company stopped to make camp. They were just South of the Barrow Downs and the South Downs. If Gandalf had been journeying alone, he would have happily put more distance between himself and these mounds. As it was, there was a practical reason to stop: To give the group enough time to find food, water, and shelter while there was still some sun shining pale-gold on the gentle slopes straightening into flat fields of high grass and brushy thickets. *

* There were no Inns in sight. It looked like everyone would be in for a night of songs, laughter, oliphaunt-hugging, and ghost stories around a campfire. The Barrow Downs would add the charming pall of its own eerie atmosphere to the stories by being a little too close for comfort, in Gandalf's estimation. *

* Gandalf now spoke: * To those of you who've brought no food or water, I'll make you an offer. Go, scrounge what herbs you may, hunt what meat you can, fetch me some water ... you DID bring waterskins, I imagine? Well anyways. Bring back what you can find to make a meal. I've got two small kettles. We can combine part of my rations with what you bring me, and share the result in a soup or stew in one kettle. In the other kettle, we'll boil a tea from what herbs you find and water you fetch. Meanwhile, I'll start a fire and help set up some lean-tos.