View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 04:52 PM   #13
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Ent - entti
Entwife - entvaimo
Enting - enttinen
Huorn - huorni
These are just so Finnish! I mean they sound like things or creatures from the past of Finnish mythology...

The translations may look like just slight diversions from English but they actually sound very ancient Finnish at the same time. Maybe Tolkien was once again picking these from the Finnish phonemes?

~~*~~

Thanks Mac for the German translations! Even with my lousy-German knowledge - one course in the Uni about ten years ago - I do thikn I was able to appreciate some of the translations. I found especially nice the names like (from ones I understand what the German words actually mean) the following:

Old Man Willow ~ Alter Weidenmann
Shadowfax ~ Schattenfell
Thórin Oakenshield ~ Thórin Eichenschild

- These just sound nice to my ear. I don't know why...

Barrow-downs ~ Hügelgräberhöhen
- might look terrible but when pronounced is quite pleasant, awoking ideas of the Alps to me...

Hobbiton ~ Hobbingen
-ahh, that's just the cute way...

Misty Mountains ~ Nebelgebirge
Mount Doom ~ Schicksalsberg

- Sadly one might think Hitler could have resided in both of these places but they still sound quite grand...

Dwarf ~ Zwerg
- that's so short and pithy. The dwarwes have to be Zwergs when they are not "kääpiöitä"!

Fallohides ~ Fahlhäute
Ringwraith ~ Ringgeist

- Like from the operas of Wagner married with 19th century German idealism - and looking at the subjects they just could be that...

Last edited by Nogrod; 09-14-2007 at 04:59 PM.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote