View Single Post
Old 01-03-2007, 12:51 AM   #50
CSteefel
Wight

CSteefel has just left Hobbiton.
I suppose the Phantom is referring to the place where the Elvish rope comes untied on its own once Sam and Frodo have descended the cliff. They tied the rope on to the same stump mentioned before as part of the trees found in the gully or cleft in which they were descending the eastern face of the Ewyn Muil.

I had always assumed this was "magic" associated with the rope, but the Phantom points to the fact that when the ropes are used in Lothlorien to cross the river, they had to be untied by the Elves. I suppose this is the inconsistency that Phantom is referring to.

Seems a bit of a stretch to conclude that an Entwife helped the hobbits along by untying it. In addition, from everything we know about the Entiwives, they hung out on the plains, tending gardens rather than groves of trees. I suppose this could have been a group that fled Sauron's armies, but the evidence is mightly slim here...