View Single Post
Old 11-11-2015, 04:51 AM   #45
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigûr View Post
Literally all I'm saying is that The Hobbit, including the parts about the Arkenstone etc, were written before Professor Tolkien had conceived of the idea that the Ring corrupted people.

He did not invent this idea until after he had written The Hobbit.
I can't see how that can be the case. Do you have citations, because they'd be interesting to look at. Can you post them please.

My response:

Glaurung.....Smaug.....Sauron.....
Erebor.....Dwarves....Balrog.....First Age. He wrote First Age notes well ahead of the Hobbit. Why does 1927 come to mind?

as Númenor was concerned.

Quote:
This did involve Sauron surviving and being a character in the narrative of Númenor, but the corresponding events in Middle-earth at the same time, especially the forging of the Rings of Power, had simply not been invented yet, and were no invented until it came to drafting The Lord of the Rings.....

Quote:
When The Hobbit was written, Professor Tolkien did not imagine that the Ring was Sauron's Ring or that it was an evil object that influenced its bearer. He had not invented those parts of the story yet.

he was writing The Hobbit[/I].
Don't buy it. Mr Bad Boi Sauron (Annatar was bit hot, I'd have imagined, and would have roused a bit of Noldor death-lust, I'm sure). I'm sure JRRT would have had Sméagol/Gollum in his fore as he put the Hobbit together in the 30's, some nine or so years after his pouring out of First Age Notes, and only a year before The Lord of the Rings was titled as the sequel....
Ivriniel is offline   Reply With Quote