View Single Post
Old 01-02-2004, 09:16 PM   #370
zb
Haunting Spirit

zb has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Here's mine:

---
You were a member of bd back when it was on ezboard, but finally managed to quit (in order to spend time actually studying). The other day, you recall a discussion about balrogs (not/) having wings. The discussion included a comment about a flying black shadow-thing mentioned in HoME which could possibly have been a balrog. What sticks in your mind is the reply, "no, that was Tom Bombadil on his hanglider".

You proceed to google 'bombadil hanglider' to try and find out who made this joke. Nothing turns up, and in desparation you enter barrowdowns.com into your browser.

Little do you know your peril...
---

And here I am again. Let this be a lesson to you all - never think you've truly quit the downs until you're dead. And probably not even then.

ps: do any long-time bd-ers know who made the bombadil hanglider joke? It will bug me forever, at this rate.
"Do you think I am trying to weave a spell? Perhaps I am; but remember your fairy tales. Spells are used for breaking enchantments as well as inducing them. And you and I have need of the strongest spell that can be found to wake us from the evil enchantment of worldliness..." - C.S. Lewis
zb is offline   Reply With Quote