View Single Post
Old 04-03-2004, 08:11 AM   #34
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Well, of course, Eomer. I know many more. Perhaps you would like to hear what the people of Rohan thought of the wargs? I shall tell thee, though I am sure you already know, Rider of the Mark.
As you can imagine the Rohirrim were not great fans of wargs. When they clashed with enemy cavalry it was usually warg mounted orcs, and hence the bitter rivalry.
The legend of the Mark goes that wargs were once normal wolves who roamed the plains, quite happy and contented in their packs to live a life of peace. However, Morgoth in his evil plan took many of these wolves captive and much like the elves who would become orcs by his Morgul ways so would the wolves warp and transform into wargs, sent to forever blight humanity.
Of one warg in particular many stories are told in the eoreds, he who was named Ghrag the Awful. For many long years he reigned in terror on the eastern borders of Rohan, causing great fear and terror wherever he roamed. It was on hearing of this great plight that Eorl rode forth from Edoras on Felarof, his great steed, to meet this sore on his fair kingdom. When the two met the locals said that the sky darkened and a great chill covered all the land. For hours the two great foes battled, locked in a duel of fates. In the end it was Eorl who drove his sword through the throat of Ghrag and did spill his blood. It is said that upon the ground where the blood of Ghrag was spilled no thing has ever lived, and that any who step there will be taken by a deadly fever.
PS- Eomer, how do you spell eloqution?