View Single Post
Old 08-31-2003, 03:24 PM   #176
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Cuthalion
Sting

From afar,the out-riders of Gil-galad spotted Arthain's party as they rode grimly toward the Golden Wood. Two of them turned aside and rode swiftly to alert the Kings of their presence. Scouts from Lorien itself watched then ride in and allowed them to pass beneath them as they rode in under the heavy boughs.

Gil-galad was in his tent when the rider entered and stood quietly until acknowledged. One look at the rider brought him to his feet. "Tell me. What has happened?" The Elf paused, then brought his eyes up to meet those of Gil-galad. "My King, Melost is lost to us. His kinsman Thelian has news that he wishes to impart that is for your ears alone. Shall I bring him?" Gil-galad nodded and the Elf vanished silently. He walked slowly outside and gazed into the distance.

Thus it was that Thelian found Gil-galad, still staring, not wanting to hear what Thelian had to say. At his approach, Gil-galad turned and Thelian bowed, then cleared his throat. "Lord, your kinsman Melost is gone. He vanished into the night shortly after leaving Imladris. He..." Thelian sighed, then continued. "The man Arthain, whom all thought to be his closest friend, betrayed him with Melost's betrothed, the lady Anwenelme. He apparently lost his mind, for he ran wildly into the woods and is presumed either dead or missing." The sorrow that emanated from Thelian was palpable and Gil-galad opened his arms and embraced him "I know he was your near kinsman as well, I grieve with you." After a moment Thelian stepped back. "Lord, I pray you, let me go and search for him! It may be that he is yet alive.." Gil-galad cut him short. "If he lives, he will find a way to join us. If he does not...Mandos' halls are the richer, as we are diminished by his passing, I will not release more soldiers that will soon needed in the battle to come."

Without waiting for dismissal, Thelian strode angrily away, hot tears of anger burning in his eyes. He owed Melost his life many times over and now he was forbidden to search for him. He sought for Dorlas, but his search was in vain, for he had been called into the tent of Elendil along with Arthain.

[ August 31, 2003: Message edited by: Cuthalion ]