View Single Post
Old 04-26-2004, 12:15 PM   #139
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Question North of the Limlight, night of Dec. 15: Mellon-Amroth

Ędegard was just about to wake Liornung to take the next watch, when they were all awakened by a hoarse shout from Amroth. Ędegard jumped to his feet, followed by Liornung.

The wild boy jumped up as well, and faced them, even as Amroth struggled to his feet round-eyed and gasping. Everyone halted but the horses, who milled and snorted at the edge of the firelight.

"Amroth, what ails you? Amroth?"

His fears ebbed. "Dreams. Again, the dark dreams."

"You are feverish, " said Liornung. "The dew lies heavy on your face."

"Feverish, " Amroth repeated. He brushed his forehead, then studied his moist hand with a frown.

The wild boy tugged at him, jabbering. "Yes, Mellon, I will rest again. You were guarding me?"

The wild boy straightened and nodded.

Amroth said, "From my other friends."

The boy hung his head, and Amroth smiled. "You need not fear them. I do not. They have proven themselves true and good."

Ędegard spoke. "Why does he understand you and not us?"

"I speak to his heart even as I speak to his mind. What do you wish to tell him?"

Liornung held up his hand. "We won't hurt him, if he won't hurt us anymore."

"Mellon, you hurt Liornung?" Amroth said coldly.

Panic kindled in the boy's eyes. Amroth stepped forward and touched his shoulder. "You must not hurt my friends. Promise me this."

The boy responded in a rush of harsh, fearful words, and Amroth waited. Slowly his tone changed to pleading, and Amroth waited still. Finally he grew silent, and Amroth quietly said, "I have named you my friend, Mellon. But you may not, and will not be my only friend. If you will ride with me, you must agree to this."

The boy stamped his foot and things might have gone ill, but Bella drew near holding out a peice of last night's bread. "Mellon?" she said softly.

"She will not hurt us," Amroth said. And he took the wild boy's hand in his own, and let Bella place the bread into the boy's hand.

Confusion fought with fear in the boy's eyes, but he put the bread in his bag. Liornung brought him some raisins. Argeleafa brought a blanket, and draped it over the boy's shoulders. Amroth steadied the boy for each gift.

Ędegard hung back, scowling, and he and the wild boy glared at each other making no attempt to conceal their hostility.

Liornung approached Ędegard. "Give him this apple."

"I think not."

"He is travelling with us whether we will or no," said Liornung.

"So we have nothing to say in the matter!"

"Amroth did not ask us to follow him either."

Ędegard stood, wrestling with the temptation to take both his horses and return to lands where folk were reasonable. He looked at Amroth, still holding the boy.

"Why should he come with us?"

Amroth replied, "He has been hunted like a wild boar."

Ędegard wrestled with his emotions. Finally he took the apple from Liornung, and approached the boy, and without looking at him, dropped the apple into his bag, turned, and walked away.

"Now, " said Amroth. "Will you be kind to my friends?"

With an air of defeat, the boy nodded. But he stole a glance at Bella, and said something in his strange tongue.

She looked startled. "What did he say?"

Amroth raised both eyebrows and tersely replied, "That you are wondrous fair."

Ędegard and Liornung's eyes went wide, and their old fears gave way to a new one. Silently they resolved never to leave either lady alone.

Last edited by mark12_30; 04-29-2004 at 06:57 AM. Reason: I mis-spelled the name of the river...