View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 07:19 AM   #48
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
It seems there is are a few points from the past 2+ years on this chapter that I have never responded to, so I’ll look at this now.

Vala-00.3: I agree we should include this phrase that Christopher Tolkien skipped.

Vala-04.5:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findegil
This was skipt by JRR Tolkien from LQ2 to Vq1, but in view of the passages taken from Sil77 about Eönwë, I think we should also restore this addition.
I don’t understand this reasoning. First of all, I believe we decided not to take the addition to the ’77 about Eonwe’s prowess in arms. Moreover, I don’t see why that has any bearing on the sentence at hand. JRRT deleted this statement, and I don’t see a reason to reinstate it.

Vala-05.2: I agree that we should reinstate this phrase deleted by Christopher Tolkien.

Vala-05.3: I like this addition and don’t see any problems with it.

Vala-07.2: I agree that thisi s the best place for this, but I think a little bit more editing is needed to make it fit, since Tolkien was writing notes to himself here, not text intended to stand in a narrative. Perhaps:

Quote:
Last of all is set the name of Melkor, He who arises in Might. For he was Vala-07.2 <MT VI [t]he greatest power under Eru. {(sc. ; he was the greatest created power). [Footnote to the text: Cf. Finrod's words in the Athrabeth (p. 322): 'there is no power conceivable greater than Melkor save Eru only'.} {(}He was to make{ /}/,/ devise{ /}/,/ begin; Manwë (a little less great) was to improve, carry out, complete.{)}> But {that}the name Melkor he has forfeited; and the Noldor, who among the Elves suffered most from his malice, will not utter it, ...
What I’ve done is:

- Remove the note “Melkor must be made far more powerful in original nature”. This is Tolkien’s note to himself about how he intends to change the character of Melkor; it means nothing within the tale.
- Remove the “sc. he was the greatest created power”, as this is just Tolkien’s explanatory note about what “the greatest power under Eru” means”
- Remove the footnote, which unless I misunderstand is Christopher Tolkien’s note.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote