View Single Post
Old 06-18-2001, 10:03 PM   #37
Tar Elenion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar Elenion has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wight
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: A project ~~~~Revising the Fall of Gondolin

re 'K' to 'C':
I think the 'k'should stay. There is a passage in Letters (IIRC) where JRRT mentions regreting using the 'c' in LotR. I will attempt to find it when I have the chance.

Re Balrog numbers:
I am not sure that the idea was ephermeral. The earlier 1000+ Balrogs were much weaker than they became. It was about this time that JRRT was upgrading them to major Maiarin spirits. Thereare only 2 of the later and powerful Balrogs being slain prior to the War of Wrath (Glorfindel and Ecthelion). I doubt that Rog would have been kept as slaying one. 1000+ Balrogs in Beleriand with the power they had would have been odd to say the least. This is why I mentioned the Boldogs earlier.

re Dragons and CT and GGK:
I doubt there is anything in HoME backing up that passage in the published Sil., as JRRT did not ever revisit the Fall of Gondolin (unfortunately). However CT saw that it was rather obvious that JRRT would not have kept the mechanical Dragons of the earlier tale.

Re House of the Swan:
I am missing something here. What is the problem with this? Why change it? I cant find it in earlier posts to see what was meant.

Tar-Elenion--------------------- I will come with Fire and Sword, and put your cities to the Torch, your men to the Blade, your women and children in Chains</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000211>Tar Elenion</A> at: 6/19/01 6:43:33 pm