Thread: Orcish Fear
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2000, 09:46 PM   #52
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Shade of Carn Dûm
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Orcish Fear

<blockquote>Quote:<hr> Another point of contention among SILMARILLION readers... <hr></blockquote>

You talkin' about me?

Actually, I like the round earth conception, but wonder if the reason JRRT never got around to finishing Sil. was due to his incessant conceptual tinkering. As a possible sequel to Tales from Eressea, I may weave in a round earth discussion (Saul, you've never commented on the first Tale, I thought you might like it).

I need to reread Morgoth's Ring and Peoples of Middle Earth (only read the latter once) but I'm committed to reading LoTR again. Hard to fit everything in right now. I've grown to like JRRT's later conception of the origin of orcs, though it still somewhat grates on my visceral impression of elves becoming orcs (emphasizes the Marring of Arda more, in my opinion) as well as my preconceptions based on the references from LoTR cited above.

--Mithadan--
"The Silmarils with living light
were kindled clear, and waxing bright
shone like stars that in the North
above the reek of earth leap forth." </p>