View Single Post
Old 09-03-2003, 10:57 AM   #104
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
in the movie this some what happend but, not enough to show that he (Faramir) didn't want it....
Upon rewatching TTT, I find that it appears that Faramir doesn't so much want the Ring for himself, but he wants something powerful to show Denethor, something to prove himself worthy in his father's eyes. I have a feeling there are some cut scenes that will reinforce this view, but I still cannot forgive Faramir for putting his personal agenda above the universal problem of the Ring of Power and the consequences of its being found again and sought by Sauron. It makes Faramir seem short-sighted and I didn't even get the feeling he really understands the nature of the Ring when he finally lets Frodo go...it seems arbitrary. He is not only a duplicate of Boromir in the film, he seems a bad carbon copy! I imagine he will fight his way back to Minas Tirith from Osgiliath and redeem himself and seem the hero in all but Denethor's eyes but he doesn't seem to have the background knowledge that he does in the book, and Boromir seemed to know more than he did about history in the movie, although he discounted it...I can see how the view of Faramir as somewhat harsh due to being on the front lines of conflict with Mordor might come into play, but I never get the feeling that he understands what the Ring of Power is, unless there is supposed to be one of those "flashes of light" right before he tells Frodo "we understand each other" and lets him go. Maybe it is an editing flaw, who knows? Looking forward to ROTK and the extended TTT to fix Faramir!

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote