View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 11:29 AM   #5
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I might be wrong, but I think that Elwe always had been one of the three ambassadors brought from Cuiviennen to Valinor by Eönwë, which then lead the Elves on the long march. Maybe it was different in the Lost Tales version.

However I agree that Elwe Thingol has some breaks in his character. Up to the point when Beren comes to Doriath he is a wise and just king that leads his people safely through dangerous time. But when doom touches him personally, with the unexpected potential loss of Lúthien to her lover Beren his wisdom is turned to cunning. But he is by no means the first father of a beautiful daughter that is unable to let her go unhindered. And in this special case, he has in part my symphaty, because the doom of separation forever either from her beloved or from her parents that Lúthien takes on herself by loving the mortal Beren is hard to accept. And from the point where he asked for that fated Simaril, I think his doom is set. These holly jewels are a curse for nearly everybody how even desires them. (in a way very similar to the Ring in LotRor the Arken-stone of The Hobbit or the dragon-gold of Glaurung, Scatha or Smaug or the Hort in The Adventures of Tom Bombadil).

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote