Thread: Relative Powers
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2006, 03:43 PM   #210
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drigel
There is no "happily ever after" in that example that you gave. There was none for Frodo either. In terms of justice, that is. The rest of ME - yes. But, isnt the whole point of eucatastrophes the fact that it is an internal process? Is not whole point of self sacrifice in the deed itself, regardless of outcome? If I experience eucatastrophe standing right next to you, would you notice it?

I wouldnt want it any other way. What I feel should be may not be how you feel.
So are Eucatastrophes merely subjective? Tolkien says the greatest Eucatastrophe was the Resurrection of Jesus. So, would you say the Eucatastrophic experience is merely how we feel about an event rather than the event itself being, by its nature, Eucatastrophic? The problem I have with that is that for an event to produce a Eucatastrophic experience in an individual it must be in response to a specific kind of event (a sudden unexpected turn of events, never to be looked for to recur', etc) - a 'miraculous grace'. If you experienced a feeling of Eucatastrophe at a particular event, & I didn't wouldn't that mean I'd missed something - ie that I wasn't responding to an objective occurrence which I should respond to in a similar way?
davem is offline   Reply With Quote