View Single Post
Old 07-14-2015, 05:10 PM   #194
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Nice gifts, Mith. Those are amazing. I would never have thought of the leavening.
Indeed. It's exactly one of the absolutely logical things that does not necessarily cross your mind, that they might need it. And it will be appreciated.

Quote:
Haha! Yes...? What else would porridge be made in? We make it in a saucepan, but if we were going to make it for a lot of people, we'd get a big pot of water going. Maybe the word kettle is used incorrectly, if it was me using it. I'll go change that.

EDIT: Nope, wasn't me this time.
Ouch. That was me, I guess. And that might have been a bad use of words, maybe subconscious, because in my native tongue the word for a very big pot (which is what I was picturing when writing it) is kotel, which sounds effectively the same... in fact, I would bet on that the words are etymologically related.

Ha, actually: I just checked some dictionaries and it seems that the word "kettle" might be appropriate, since the use of it as the smaller kind of container (or even just a kettle for making tea) is only post-medieval... and kettle even looks like being a bit more "originally English" word (as opposed to "pot" being a bit more French). So in fact, maybe I could keep it there, since it would be appropriate... (It would still however be just art came out of the unintended.)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories