Thread: Gay subtext?
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2001, 05:28 PM   #24
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Tolkien

Maril is completely correct. The purpose here is discussion; discussion of theories and viewpoints as well as "facts" (if there can be facts in a work of fiction, no matter how detailed). If you disagree with someone's view or position, feel free to say so and why. However, disagreeing with someone's views should not be mistaken for a license to criticize another person (as opposed to their position) or to disparage another poster. That is what we call "flaming" and it is not allowed on these boards. If you do not like a topic, feel free to not read it, but do not enter into a thread with a figurative knife, ready to stab with it and twist the blade. These boards go (substantially) unmoderated because the vast majority of us play by the rules and discuss only issues, not other posters.

Sam and Frodo certainly loved one another, though their love often seems almost child-like in its innocence. Tolkien experienced male cameraderie both in the military (where he lost several dear friends) and later in his literary groups, such as the Inklings. Rather stodgy actually. Leave the wives at home and meet in a room or at a pub, tilt a few pints and smoke pipes while doing readings, discussions and criticisms. His experiences were almost "institutional" in nature; a part of British culture within his social strata. His wartime experiences likely provided the basis for this aspect of Frodo and Sam's relationship. Bonding during life-threatening conditions is fierce and intense. This is portrayed in literature and in films. A man in distress or wounded is not surrounded by others who shake their heads and say "tsk, tsk, too bad". Their hands are held, their heads cradled and their brows and faces caressed. Men too tired to walk are supported by their friends. So far as the kissing of Frodo's brows, Tolkien's life experience was European in nature, he did not live in puritanical America. I doubt eyebrows would raise in response to Sam's actions.

Tolkien did, by the way, have a fierce love for his wife. The story of their courtship, best conveyed in his Letters, was deeply touching. He was deeply grieved by her later illnesses and death.

Sam and Frodo gay? I don't think so. People of the same sex can love one another without being gay. They were good friends at the outset and suffered through dire circumstances and experiences which further strengthened their bond. I am sure JRRT was aware of homosexuality, but as religious as he was (he introduced Lewis to Catholicism) I strongly doubt that he would insert homoeroticism into his writings. The sections of the books about Sam and Frodo's travels in and about Mordor drew heavily upon his experiences in World War I (as someone commented, I believe, he fought in the Battle of the Somme and was hospitalized for shell shock) and I believe the bonding between the two draws from the same source.