View Single Post
Old 03-05-2005, 08:09 PM   #100
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Please note. I have structured my first post so it is Galadriel's original instructions. My first actual game post will be when I approach your camp and make myself known. I will, of course, have been on the road several weeks and already stopped by Thrainduil's palace. I hope this is alright. I thought it was important to get this background information in.

Please note that I have gone on the assumption that relations between Mirkwood and Lórien were somewhat strained. As I understand it, Thranduil's father Oropher did not like the infuence of Galadriel or the Noldor (perhaps the feeling was mutual?) and relations were thus cool. I am assuming that most of you will not have worked closely with an Elf from Lórien before, since Galadriel's folk were so "isolationist".

Hope this is ok.

Character Description Form:

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – NO

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? none

List them, please:

Please note you may play in only 2 (TWO) Shire games at one time. Exceptions to this may be made for this on a case by case basis by the Shire Moderators. (The Green Dragon Inn DOES NOT count as a game for this.)

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn – YES

For your character please include:

NAME: TAURON

RACE: Sylvan Elf dwelling in Lórien

WEAPONS: Hunting bow and arrows; short sword and dagger. He is an experienced hunter whose command of the bow is extraordinary for such a young Elf.

APPEARANCE: Tall and slender; with grey eyes and black hair tied back in a thong; blends well into the forest with his brown and green hunting attire. He wears leather boots and a silver medallion about his neck, which is a gift from his mother and father.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Turon has polished skills as a hunter and a scout. He has a deep love of the forest and knows every inch of the land that lies between the rivers Celebrant and Anduin. He is normally quiet and does not like to draw attention to himself. His life has centered on his parents and sister and a circle of close friends. His polite demeanor and obvious intelligence have won him the respect of Galadriel and Celeborn.

Because Turon is sensitive and inward looking, he has developed unusual skills in Osanwe. He can communicate easily over long distances, a factor that brought him to Galadriel's attention and is one of the reasons she uses him to carry messages for her.

HISTORY: Turon belongs to one of the original families in Lórien who gave their allegiance to Galadriel when she first settled in the region. His family has been closely associated with the Queen down through the years, serving her in whatever capacity she needed. Although a Silvan Elf just like his brothers and sisters in Mirkwood, Turon thinks of himself primarily as a loyal retainer of Galadriel's house.

Growing up, he knew little about the Elves in Mirkwood or any other place outside the boundaries of the forest of Lórien. Moreover, he had no great desire to leave that forest or to learn more about other Elves or any of the other peoples of Middle-earth. Sheltered from the Shadow that was already creeping over other lands, he was blissfully ignorant of the growing danger posed by the return of Sauron. He has had no prior dealings with Men, although he has battled Orcs.

More recently, however, because of his quick wits and unquestioned loyalty, Galadriel has chosen him to carry messages outside the boundaries of the forest. In these situations, he is expected to keep in touch with Galadriel and report back to her by means of Osanwe. These assignments outside Lórien have proven to be a real challenge since he must face problems for which he has had no background or preparation. He is willing to learn, but the ways and thoughts of the 'outsiders'--as Turon always thinks of them--sometimes seem very strange. It will be a challenge for Turon to learn to fit in as a member of a group of Elves from Mirkwood, to say nothing of battling Orcs. Still, his talents are considerable and, if he offends, it is more from ignorance than a lack of good will.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tevildo's post

“Ma’am, I have come swiftly as you requested.” Turon respectfully bowed to Lady Galadriel and her consort while silently wondering why they had summoned him here. On a number of occasions, he had carried messages for Galadriel outside the vail of Lórien. He had returned from such an assignment a few days earlier and had hoped to be able to spend time with family and friends.

He always found such long journeys difficult. Every time he stepped out of the forest, he felt as if he was entering a different world, one where he truly did not belong. It was not easy to be pulled away from the timeless veil of the forest and pressed into service in other lands where even the passage of the days felt different. He found this sensation particularly disconcerting when dealing with other Elves whose ways of doing and thinking were so different. One day he had questioned Galadriel about that strange sensation of slipping from one time to another, and she had laughed with a pure silver voice tinged with sadness, “Yes, Turon. Someday when you journey to the West, it is you who will feel comfortable and they who will feel odd. We cling to old times and old ways but most of Arda, even enclaves like Rivendell and the northern forests, already have one foot in the world of Men.”

Turon’s musings were interrupted by Galadriel’s words, “I am sorry to ask this, but we must learn more. I have seen strange things in my mirror. You must journey to the forests of the north, that which is now called Mirkwood, and bring me a report. We have heard of the spread of evil, terrible evil, within the forests of the north. You must leave tomorrow. First, travel to the court of Thranduil. Perhaps he will know something of what has occurred or will have sent out a party himself. If so, you may need to join them. Whatever happens, you must stay in touch with me by Osanwe, that we may learn what is happening and whether these events pose a threat to our own lands. ”

Then they sat down to discuss the details of Turon’s journey. An hour later, the younger Elf stood up to take his leave. Bowing respectfully to Galadriel and Celeborn, Turon repeated his promise that he would report back information and, if needed, do everything in his power to take a stand against the doom that now seemed to be spreading over Mirkwood. He left the meeting with a heavy heart as he considered the long and uncertain road ahead. For as long as anyone could remember, Thranduil and Galadriel had not been friendly, apparently the result of an ancient coldness that had arisen between the Sindarin Elves and the Noldor. They were not enemies, but neither were they friends. He was the first envoy to be sent to the court of Thranduil in a very long time. He wondered whether he would find kindness and courtesy there or something very different. And the thought of joining a scouting party of Elves from Mirkwood did not please him…..

Last edited by piosenniel; 03-06-2005 at 01:12 AM.