Thread: Unworthy
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2003, 09:44 AM   #62
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Tolkien

Tar: [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] interesting definition.
Quote:
A stand-out does not mean a stand-alone, so why make it such? Why seek to to frame it as a golden light of essential literature? Not that it is not worth attempting if you feel to do so. You are only seeking to give it greater literary recognition, no? Nobly seeking to right an old wrong? Pulling it from the dirty claws of the 'fantasy' genre perhaps? Personally, I don't see the need.
Well neither do I, but considering my 8th grade English teacher's lack of admiration for Tolkien's works [I don't think she even read any book of his yet], I would still pursue. :shrugs: The only teacher i've had who liked Tolkien was my 6th grade teacher [and he actually read the books too].

Yes I get it with fantasy and all, but my question is still not answered:
Quote:
BTW: I'm glad all of you agree that Tolkien's books are under the genre of fantasy-I think it is too, but I need help understanding why it is also considered to by under sci-fi. I haven't asked this question on any part of the forum, but now it has surfaced after so long...

I talked about it with my 6th grade teacher once and he didn't know either. What kind of science would agree with Tolkien, I wonder.