View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #21
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
The crown seems too low again and too much like a spinning top or a littleUFO! I think maybe I like Seward's reflected WK best of them.
I sort of depends. Not all crowns sit at the same level on the head, if the crown is the sort where it sits just above the eyes the eyes are sort of in the right place in the Spearing picture. In the other one It look to me like the perspective may be tilted somewhat upwards (say if you imagine the person seeing this is behind the WK, on his knees, or it's Merry) Also the WK cloak in that one looks as if it has some collar to it (or the rumpled down wrinkles of a hood) so the top of the cloth may be some distance above where the actual neck would be particualry in the back (where we are seeing from).

What I have some problem with in the Spearing picture is the winged beast. Aside from the fact it has a very thick (and rather short) neck, the armor it is wearing appears to be a series of linked plates. With that kind of armor, Eowyn would have to have the strength of Hercules to actually send the beasts head flying (think about the kind of upper body strength needed in old time executioners to cut through an ordinary human neck in one stroke). She could cut the head free, of course, but her sword would bounce against either the plate itself or the links between the plates and those links would keep the head more or less in place. If it moved at all, it would simply flop down and hang there (and given where Eowyn is standing, if it did that, Eowyn would likey get the head full in the chest (correction, in the back over the head) and be knocked sprawling)

Last edited by Alfirin; 05-20-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote