Thread: The Istari
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2002, 02:58 PM   #7
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dűm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Vanima: The Blue Wizards(no red) Pallando
and Alatar, are never really spoken about, all knowledge is pretty much rumors.

Oromë sent Alatar, and Alatar brought Pallando as a friend to M-E. But Mandos and Neinne may have sent Pallando. It gets confusing.

Of the Blue little was known in the West, and they had no names save Ithryn Luin "the Blue Wizards;" for they passed into the East with Curunír, but they never returned, and whether they remained in the East, pursuing there the purposes for which they were sent; or perished; or as some hold were ensnared by Sauron and became his servants, is not now known.

In a letter written in 1958 my father(J.R.R.Tolkien)said that he knew nothing clearly about "the other two," (meaning the Blue Wizards) since they were not concerned in the history oh the North-west of Middle-earth. "I think," he wrote, "they went as emissaries to distant regions, East and South, far out of Numenorean range: missionaries to enemy-occupied lands, as it were. What success they had I do not know; but I fear that they failed, as Saruman did, though doubtless in different ways; and I suspect they were founders or beginners of secret cults and 'magic' traditions that outlasted the fall of Sauron."