View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordPhillock View Post
all that you have described could have easily been possible through dialogue, facial expressions, and positioning of exposition within the film. For example, Gandalf using most of this information in the form of a dramatic explanation as a way to convince Thorin to keep him on their quest as they have a small argument after the "unexpected party" at Bag End.
The whole story could have been told via dialogue - and you'd have a radio play. Its a film & the central philosophy of film is 'Show, don't tell'. I've been one of the biggest critics of the LotR films on this forum, but frankly I've mellowed - its a film & as long as the books are still going to be around I'm not too bothered what they put in the film - either they'll work as films & be entertaining in their own right, or they won't & a lot of people will lose both face & money, but either way the books will still be there & say what they always have - apart from whatever changes/amendments Christopher Tolkien decides to introduce Whatever PJ has changed in the film version, only CT has introduced posthumous alterations to the text of the book (300-400 changes in the 50th Anniversary edition of LotR)- which has annoyed me far more than anything PJ has done.

So nerr
davem is offline   Reply With Quote