View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007, 10:30 AM   #67
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye a little late with these, I know...

Wow- I've got a lot of matches to get through! I hope you don't mind that I've fallen behind a bit. It's difficult to find the time to play in the World Cup, own a fantasy team, and be a sports writer.

Moria 1 - 3 Angband

Angband was not on top of things in that first half, but put it together to score three times in a twenty minute span during the second half. It's easy enough for Angband to get away with that sort of play during the group stage, but they'd better be ready to play a full game once the knock-out rounds begin.

Tuna 2 - 1 Shire

Tuna played this game smart, using their complete superiority to nab a two goal lead immediately out of the gate and then just coasting from there, conserving their energy and saving themselves for the knock-out rounds.

Mordor 4 - 0 Tol Eressea

Ouch. Yeah, I expected a Mordor win, but wow... possession 64-36, shots 15-2... Mordor looked scary good in that game. They looked like the Mordor team that won three cups in a row back in the day. The question is, was this a one game fluke, or a sign of their return?

Barrow-Downs 4 - 1 The Inklings

All the big guns were playing well, and so it is not surprising that the Downs ran away with the game. When all their forwards plus Phantom are on top of their game, it's impossible to keep the Downs off the board. But will everyone stay consistent? SPM and Phantom are famous for the inconsistency of their teamwork, seeming to share a brain and racking up lots of goals in one game, and then in the next game they can't get on the same page and sometimes they will feud and outright refuse to pass to one another. Let's hope a spirit of unity prevails throughout this World Cup.

Nargothrond 2 - 0 Buckland

Mormegil scored again? No way. I'm shocked. But seriously, things went as expected. Buckland doesn't have the athletes to push Nargothrond.

Old Grey Hill 0 - 1 Misty Mountains

Honestly, Old Grey Hill is playing way way better than I thought they would. I expected at least a two goal victory for Misty Mts. So, kudos to Mts for the win, and kudos to Hill for competing well. This is a weak group though, so don't get too excited.

Gondolin 2 - 0 Mirkwood

Mirkwood finally played up to their potential. Unfortunately, the opponent was Gondolin, who can beat just about anyone. Hurin certainly showed us all where Mormegil gets his scoring talents from.

Doriath 2 - 2 Ham

Doriath has got to be disappointed with this result. They are the better team. After taking the 2-0 lead they should have gone conservative and clogged up the field, but they chose not to, and paid for it.

Valinor 0 - 1 Erebor

As much as I dislike Angband's Melkor, I really think he said it right in his pre-tournament interview when he called out Manwe, telling him to "grow a pair". Valinor has some fantastic scorers on their team- just turn them loose! But it's probably too late now.

Lothlorien 2 - 0 Brethil

Personally, I thought the match was boring. Brethil played like a junior high team. I think they're eager to get back to the forest.

Roverandom 0 - 1 Dor Lomin

This result just makes it look even dumber that Mordor lost to Roverandom. It's downright suspicious.

Arnor 3 - 0 Rivendell

Ah, so Arnor is finally showing us what that offense can do. Poor Rivendell... it's like I said before the tournament- with that midfield they have there is no way they are advancing.