View Single Post
Old 03-31-2003, 12:56 AM   #18
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Cuthalion
Sting

Melost reached forward and took some bread and cheese. "My lord, long it has been since we sat at table like this. I thank you!" He raised a goblet in salute to Gil-galad, who merely nodded in return. Melost sat back, wondering what was running through Gil-galad's mind. His kinsman had always been one to keep his own council, but now, with so great a battle looming on the horizon, he had become positively grim. Melost looked at Thelian askance, knowing that he was also weighing what Gil-galad had said. The enemy here? Unlikely, yet stranger things had happened.

As he drank, Melost's thoughts began to wander as Thelian engaged Gil-galad in light banter. He thought of his beloved and how he could not wait to run his fingers through her raven hair once again. He recalled their last parting and how bitter it had been. He regretted leaving her, but he knew that no matter what, Sauron had to be defeated. She had not understood and so he had left her, standing proudly, unbending. And he had watched as she turned away and did not look back.

His hand strayed to the stone that lay next to his heart. "I will return to you, my love, if only for a short time. My thoughts are ever with you!" He shook himself from his reverie and stood. "My lord, by your leave, Thelian and I will leave this night. With any luck we will return shortly after day-break." Gil-galad stood and clasped hands with Melost. "The Valar go with you, cousin." They both bowed and left the pavilion in search of their horses, talking quietly of the road ahead.

[ April 01, 2003: Message edited by: Cuthalion ]