View Single Post
Old 04-23-2003, 10:16 AM   #38
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Cuthalion
Sting

Melost heaves a sigh and glanced at Thelian in apology. He clasped Thelain's shoulder. "Go, kinsman. See to the horses and I will re-join you shortly. Make ready, for it is sure that we will leave for Ilmadris quickly. Thelian smiled at him encouragingly, then he pulled aside the flap and departed, intent on other matters.

With trepidation melost turned to face his lord, who's frank gaze made it certain there would be no escape until he spoke. Gil-Galad gestured for him to sit and he dragged over a camp-stool from one corner of the tent. As he settled himself, Gil-Galad rse and poured a goblet of miruvor for him, then walked over, handed it to him, then leaned against the map-table as he looked down at his kinsman.

Melost smiled gratefully, then drank slowly, gathering his thoughts. "My lord...do not lose faith in me. It seems I have harmed my friend by speakingrashly, without thought. Isildur insulted me and I lashed out at Arthain. It was foolish of me. I regret it." Gil-Galad's brow furrowed. "That is not all Melost." he said, hoping to draw from him the true reason for his silence. Melost rose and stood with his back to Gil-Galad, then tossed down the rest of the goblet's contents. "As always my lord, I can hide nothing." He turned to Gil-Galad and spoke in a rush, "My lord, send Thelian and I on to Ilmadris in advance of the host. My betrothed awaits me and I...have put off for far too long being with her. She fills my mind as the stars fill the night sky. Give me a message, anything! Only allow me this." Gil-Galad raised an eyebrow, for he knew of the lady in question. "Is she so constant that she has waited for you these many long years? As I remember her, she was always will-ful and desirous of her own way." He saw then a cloud of anger brush Melosts's face, only to be quickly driven away. He held up his hand to fore-stall Melost's outburst. "Go,then. Bear to Elrond the message that we come in force, both Isildur and I and bid him prepare. Go!"