View Single Post
Old 02-22-2004, 08:41 AM   #364
Will Witfoot
Haunting Spirit

Will Witfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Fungrim breathed a sigh of relief when Regin departed to oversee the work of his corps of hobbit assistants. It appeared that he need not worry about the other dwarf bothering him about his past, and as long as this was the case Fungrim would be happy to have a talk with a fellow kinsman. It had been long indeed since he had last engaged in any sort of disscusion, and he actually found himself wondering wether he would still be able to keep up anything even remotelly like a disscusion.

"Excuse me, sir dwarf." A small girls voice said. He turned to face the child he had saved from the burning inn, now even more startled than during his exchange with Regin. He wasnt used to being talked to. He did not even try to stop the little smile creeping onto his lips.
"Yes, little miss, can I help you?" he asked warmly.

The girl blushed and stammered something that he could not make out. Suddenly she threw herself at him and hugged him with all the strength of her little arms. Fungrim was absolutelly stunned at this point. "You saved me! Thank you! Thak you!". He patted her clumsilly on the back, an akward chuckling escaping his throat.
"Whats your name?". The girl asked, all smile.
"Who, me?". He asked, quite bewildered by all the social activity that seemed to come to him on this fair morning. He managed to gather a few of his scattered wits and spoke again. "I am Fungrim. What is your name, little lady?".
"I'm Hindolen, but you can just call me Indy. Are you going to help make the foundation?" she asked with curiosity.

"Yes, I am. But not yet, too many people are still asleep. Too bad they're not more like you in wakin' up!" his rather clumsy attempt at humouring the child sounded strange in his ears. It had been what, ten years, when he had last even talked to a child.

"Really? I want to learn all about the stone and the foundation and everything! I know I'm really small and just a girl...but do you think I could help? I can carry your tools for you, and I fit in little spaces really good and I can get you lunch and I can even shade you from the sun and...." His head was begining to swim from her quick, curious questions. He glanced at her, measurring her.

"What?" she asked sweetly.

"Slow down, lass, before ye talk yerself dumb!" He said and smiled, indicating that it was a joke. He turned serious once more.
"Yes, ye could help me. My ken on masonry is not as great as that of Regin," he nudged his head into the direction of the other dwarf. "..but I do know a thing or two about stone, if I say so meself. Tell you what, Indy. You can start to help me by carrying my tools, fetching water or taking messages to Regin as the need arises. I'll try to teach ye a few things as we work."

He took a big breath of leaf-smoke and blew a neat little smoke ring that dangled in the air above the girls head. "Well start as soon as Ive finished my smoke, allright?".
Herein, it is said, the power of Ulmo was shown. For he gathered tidings of all that passed in Beleriand, and every stream that flowed from Middle-earth to the Great Sea was to him a messenger, both to and fro