View Single Post
Old 02-23-2004, 12:40 PM   #377
Memory of Trees
Haunting Spirit

Location: Here! Over here!!! Behind that rock. Yes, that is I...
Memory of Trees has just left Hobbiton.
Reign stood up, brushing the dirt and leaves from her thin wool dress. It was the only one she had managed to save, and regrettably, it was the ugliest thing she had owned. "It's practical," she thought to herself. "But I feel like I'm wearing a sack." She brushed her tangled blonde hair back out of her eyes, and walked over to where the innkeeper was standing. Aman was speaking with the dwarf Reign, who had been organizing the masonry effort. Reign waited until there was a pause in the conversation, and then cleared her throat loudly.

"Umm… Miss Aman? May I speak with you, please?” Reign’s heart was pounding in her ears, and it took all her effort to keep her voice steady. Come on, she scolded herself. This is silly. You don’t have to be nervous! She was anyway.

Aman turned to her. “Reign! It’s good to see you. What do you need, dear?”

Reign swallowed hard. “I know… I know you asked for people to help with the inn.” At first her voice was so soft that Aman could barely hear her, but as she spoke it grew in confidence. “To rebuild it, all together. Oh, it’s so horrible, and I know what it’s like to lose something you love…” She paused, and suddenly lifted her eyes to look into Aman’s. Twin emeralds stared up at the innkeeper, and Reign went on in a rush. “What I’m trying to say is – well, I want to help. I’m not very strong, but I’m a good worker and I don’t mind doing the dirty jobs. I just want to make this place right again!” She stopped and blinked, as if amazed by her own boldness. “Aman, what can I help you do?”