Thread: Dumbing it down
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2005, 03:35 AM   #293
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Yep, totally agree that the WK needs to be defeated with a 'magical' sword IN A BOOK SENSE.

For Mr Average Movie Goer they do not need this. As in the films of Dracula, sunlight can kill a vampire, but for those that have read Dracula know this is not the case, it just diminishes his powers. The same for the sword, for us book readers, the sword HAS to be the one picked from the barrow, but this is not needed for film goers.

Fair point about the stake having to be wooden. It's funny really, but this is the other way around for Dracula. The films have made the wooden stake important, whilst the novel itself ends dracula's life as:
Quote:
But, on the instant, came the sweep and flash of Jonathon's great knife. I shrieked as I saw it shear through the throat; whilst at the same moment Mr Morris' bowie knife plunged in the heart.
(sorry got this wrong on my last post)

I wonder if the internet had been around in the time of the hammer horror movies and boris karloff, whether there would have been the same arguments over the book / film differences.

PS I recommend Dracula as a read. Great story, great characters, and the Count himself. What an amazing character - give it a go if you get the chance.

Last edited by Essex; 03-11-2005 at 07:54 AM.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote