View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 08:15 AM   #26
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I think I would have to be very thin-skinned to object to people claiming that The Lord of the Rings is boring. Lots of people think it's boring. I don't, but plenty do.

The main objections seem to be:
1. too much description, especially of landscapes: "he describes every blade of grass"
2. too much monotony: "they just walk for ages"
3. too much archaism: "the characters say things like 'Forsooth! Thou art slain!'" etc

I've actually heard people say some of these things. But if people think it's boring, well, they're perfectly entitled to.

Interestingly, Book Three (or the first part of "The Two Towers" if you will) is one of my favourite parts. When I was a child my least favourite was Book Four. These days I appreciate every part of the book.

This isn't specifically related to The Lord of the Rings but in terms of 'boredom' I've always been impressed with how, in my opinion, in Chapter VIII of The Hobbit, "Flies and Spiders", Professor Tolkien manages to convey a sense of the horrible oppressiveness, tedium and drudgery of the journey through Mirkwood. I'm always as desperate to escape as the characters themselves.