View Single Post
Old 08-23-2003, 03:46 AM   #1
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White-Hand Some info on e-mail, spam, and viruses

Recently, a new virus has been running around the internet that has proven to be quite annoying. It works by getting into a computer and then sending out infected e-mails to addresses that computer's address book. Also, it takes another address from that address book and sticks it into the return address field.

What this means is that if you get a report of an infected e-mail:

1) Delete it, of course, and always have updated anti-virus running.
2) The person it says it came from is NOT the person it came from, but it is someone who has YOU in their address book.
3) If it says it come from a barrowdowns.com address, it probably didn't, BUT it did come from someone who has someone else with a barrowdowns.com address in their address book. (For example, if someone had estelyn@barrowdowns.com in their address book, and that person became infected, their computer might send out infected e-mails to everyone in its address book and falsely list estelyn@barrowdowns.com as the sender. (I personally get several reports a day from e-mail servers saying I sent them an infected e-mail, but they are incorrect because, as I explained, the return address is fake)
4) Thus, if you get an infected e-mail, it's from someone who sends you e-mails, regardless of what the return address says. Contact the people who send you e-mails and tell them to virus check immediately.

Because of all these fake e-mails being sent by the virus, e-mail servers around the world (including barrowdowns.com - because a lot of people have us in their address book) are being barraged by tons of spam, infected e-mails. Delete them all and virus check again!

I hope this explains things to those who are experiencing any problems. I wanted you to rest assured that its not coming from us.

Thanks!