View Single Post
Old 08-23-2003, 10:08 AM   #6
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Just 3 things I'd like to add.

First off, I recommend Zone Labs' free ZoneAlarm firewall. The plus version is only $30 if you're satisfied, and I find the money well spend indeed. It's control's and interface are very easy for even the most basic user, and if you know what you're doing, advanced settings are easily manipulated as well.

2. Don't open Attachments! It's the first and most basic rule of virus protection. Unless you absolutely know that someone you trust sent you it, don't open it.

3. I actually recommend not using Outlook or Outlook Express for any type of e-mail. They're easily manipulated by incoming viruses and M$'s lack of adequetly designing the software is only facilitating the spread. If at all possible use something like Hotmail, which makes you actually select to download attachments, which are then autoscanned if you have an antivirus. It's completely free and comes with more than enough space for most people.

Actually one more thing, use subject lines when sending all of your emails. I know it seems stupid, but it's quite necessary, make them as specific as possible, even adding the date sent. Generally e-mail viruses are preprogrammed with a string of different subject lines, but all are very unspecific. An example is the famous "I love you" bug, and not to mention the aforesaid "Thank You".

Ok, Ok, I lied, I have two more things. If you are using outlook, go to "Tools", "Macro", "Security", and make sure the setting is on "High".

And, finally, make sure you're fully updated All the time. M$ has now made it very easy with automatic update, included in all XP PC's, and even built into Internet Explorer. If you're using IE, go to "Tools" and you'll see "Windows Update". If you're on Dial-up, the updates might take a while (up to a few hours), but it's decidedly worth it. Make sure you do it at least once a week.

Ok, there's my rant for virus protection. Hope you all enjoyed it. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote