View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 05:09 AM   #127
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellurdur View Post
As the Steward announces, the throne of Gondor was passed strictly to the SONS of Anarion. They followed Salic succession, so anyone descendant through the female line would not be eligible for the kingship.

The Prince of Dol Amroth was the second highest ranking nobile in Gondor. Daughters of the royal family were very likely to marry into that line at some point meaning that the Princes of Dol Amroth would be descendants of Anarion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellurdur View Post
No I mean that all Peredhil were mortal from this point onwards. The only exceptions are to the descendants of Earendil and Elwing, because of the great sacrifice they made.
The Choice of the Peredhil went beyond Earendil. It went to Elwing, and to any, I believe. Elwing had a very different lineage. Dior took an Elven wife from Doriath and he was born *after* Luthien was restored to life as a *mortal*. Earendil and Elwing were the first Half Elven to be formerly gifted with the Choice of the Peredhil after a specific decree and intervention from Valinor, that did not circumscribe its bounds to Earendil's lineage. See also, below, my comments about Luthien.

Quote:
This is only true of the line of Earendil. All other Halfelves would have no choice and be mortal.
No. The Choice of the Peredhil was not bound to a specific lineage, such as Earendil. I suspect that in Dol Amroth, the reason for no immortality, was for choice to belong to the lines of Men.

Quote:
An elf cannot change his or her fate any more than a Man can. Any elf that married a mortal would remain immortal......Luthien was not a case of a Halfelven being given a choice. It was her making a deal to get Beren back, which meant giving up her immortality. In return Beren was brought back to life and this was a unique exception counter balanced by Tuor being the only mortal to ever become immortal.
Not quite. She died of grief for love of Beren. Mandos brought them both back to life, and granted Luthien mortality. She died, as a mortal, and had two sojourns to the Halls of Mandos. The first was after she died of grief, the second when she died after living with Beren, for a time, in Beleriand. They had Dior, who, I really do not see as someone with the life of the Eldar, given what we know became of Luthien.

In any case, all this occurred before the Choice of the Peredhil was formalised, in Valinor, after Earendil's arrival there.

Last edited by Ivriniel; 02-27-2014 at 06:05 AM.
Ivriniel is offline   Reply With Quote