View Single Post
Old 03-11-2002, 08:57 PM   #16
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Quote:
Wow, my posts end up quite tedious reading.
Nonsense, Obloquy! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:
...what i am wondering is if we are meant to consider him as forever fatally flawed and incapable of reconsidering himself and his course of action, & so outside the possibility of redemption. are we meant to always see him as a counterpoint to the theme of harmony in Eru's creation? & did Eru's harmony require the counterpoint to be completely revealed?
I do believe this was Tolkien's point of view, Piosenniel (by the way, I love your inclusion of Elvish in your posts - what does your name mean?). Only by knowing darkness and evil can we see the beauty of light and good. It's hard to argue with it, but somehow it doesn't entirely sit well with me. For example, Manwe, as Obloquy helpfully quotes for us, knows better than any other the heart of Iluvatar and has no need to perceive the beauty of good through its contrasts with evil. Maybe that's because he's a Valar, though. Maybe this is part of the Doom of the Children of Iluvatar. Somehow that seems sad to me.
[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[ March 11, 2002: Message edited by: littlemanpoet ]