Thread: Of Eru
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2002, 07:58 AM   #27
Voronwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voronwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I'm simply stating that you cannot back it up scientifically.
I'm sorry, but that's just not true. There is plenty of scientific evidence that the Big Bang (incidently, a name coined in derision) took place. Firstly, it can be mathematically proven that if General Relativity is correct (and it is one of the best-tested theories in Physics) then the Big Bang must have occurred.

More direct evidence comes from the simple fact that the universe is expanding, and perhaps most compellingly of all, the universe's microwave background radiation which is a direct fallout from the Big Bang itself.

One more thing I must mention is the use of the term 'theory' to describe the Big Bang. In science a theory is not something which is an unproven guess - that is a hypothesis. It is a logical theoretical framework which agrees with observations and which has been tested as far as possible.

Hopefully I haven't offended anyone with this very brief - and off topic - summary of the evidence. Of course one can still choose not to believe that the Big Bang ever took place, but to say there is no scientific evidence for it is not correct.

In answer to one of the above posts, Tolkien envisaged Eru and God (our world) to be one and the same. This is perhaps not obvious from the Silmarillion, but it is made much clearer in some of Tolkien's other writings, most notably the Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, which can be found in Morgoth's Ring (History of Middle Earth Volume X).

One last thing:
Quote:
Major question science is supposed to answer, is "how? It, by definition, is not supposed, and can not, answer question "why?"
That depends on one's philosophical standpoint with regard to science, meaning, and reality in general. I won't even try to go into this here, since it ultimately comes down to personal opinion.