View Single Post
Old 09-12-2003, 07:04 PM   #43
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rauthain

Rauthain had forgotten the items that he had needed from the stables after the missing horse had come to his attention and the discussion that followed. Hurriedly picking them up he rejoined Amandur, as he was ready to leave the stables. “But why should an elven maid steal the inn’s horse unless she needed to leave quickly?” Rauthain questioned, pausing just inside the stable door. “Perhaps we should see if the inn keeper could be of help in this regard.” But looking to Amandur he could see that he was lost in his own thoughts and had not heard him. Rauthain gently lay hold of Amandur’s arm looking into his eyes as he turned around. “There is more here than is being spoken of. I can see this. Perhaps we are seeking the same ends, perhaps not. That is for you to tell. I am on furlough, but pursue the matter of Naiore Dannan, as it is of private interest to me. Having said this, I place myself at your service, Amandur, if you should have need of me. For I feel you also are seeking the Ravenor and I should be glad be of help.”

Before Amandur could answer, Dervorin bustled by, muttering to himself as he readied a pair of horses to be let out to graze. The two rangers entered the stable yard, taking up the subject of the missing horse again as the stable master led the horses past them. Looking back toward the inn, Rauthain saw that Hanasian was returning. He turned to Amandur once more. “I will be staying here through today at least.” He bowed slightly and left, just before Hanasian approached.

Alone once more, Rauthain brooded over the familiar bearing of the man he had observed earlier in the morning. Rauthain was not able to see his face, but saw only his back as he led two other horses away. Not the missing gelding, but a bay mare strangely saddled with no rider, and a smaller animal. His instincts told him to follow, but he was unsure if Hanasian, Amandur or Maethor would be there when he returned and so was of divided mind.

[ September 13, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]