View Single Post
Old 12-16-2014, 10:18 PM   #8
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'm sure WB are considering numerous options about how they could continue to wring profit out of Professor Tolkien's work.

To be fair, we do know that Aragorn for instance rode with Thengel of Rohan and led Gondor in burning the fleets of Umbar under the guise of 'Thorongil.' Then he went on journeys in Rhūn and Harad before returning to Eriador.

Given how much whole cloth they've shown themselves willing to utilise in regards to matters described solely in the Appendices for the films of The Hobbit I can see them easily turning that into a film.

Isn't there some legal stipulation, however, that if something is mentioned solely in the Appendices and in materials still with the Estate, but not in the main body of The Lord of the Rings, they can't use it? I feel like I read that somewhere. Not sure what bearing it would have on this material, however.

Personally of course I hope Hollywood leaves Professor Tolkien's work alone for a long, long time. Current Hollywood sensibilities at least (more of the same stuff, more money, more manipulation) are virtually a complete anathema to everything The Lord of the Rings stands for in my opinion.