View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 10:23 AM   #19
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
take for example the council of Elrond - I believe this would take at least half an hour to run through word for word - It can't be done in a 3 hour movie.
And as I said in the Council of Elrond thread before, I was perfectly fine with them slimming down the talking in the Council. Simply because the movie is focused on the Ring, there's no need for the other back stories in the movies. Yes, it may be nice to hear the dwarves and tales of Gollum, but to the movie it's only minor and not important to know. So, they did the right thing in cutting it strictly down with what to do with the Ring.

Quote:
What. 10 year's worth of effort? I think not!!!!!
I'm not saying Jackson didn't love and care about the story. However, to say since he put a lot into the movies isn't anything special from any other movie. It's not the amount of time but every directory puts heart, time, and money into his movies, Jackson only did a lot more of each.

Quote:
Every character will be diminished when you take 54 hours of source material and condense into 8.5 - 11 hours
There I don't agree. By not having Gimli be the butt end of joke through TTT and ROTK, or by not having Frodo send Sam away in ROTK, would surely not be so diminishing to their characters.

Now there are some characters like Denethor, who has so much depth in just one book, and to fit that in the movie would be extremely hard, so of course they aren't going to have much depth to them, and things have to be compromised. But, by just not making Gimli the laughing stock fo the Fellowship would have changed the impression of his character.