Old 10-06-2002, 12:01 PM   #9
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Re:

FG-30
Bad Uthwen [ way of esacape] 2 possibilities:
not using an elvish pjrase at all but simply 'the way of escape'.

Bad Uthwen simply feels and looks like 'Noldorin' not Sindarin.

Another possibility is provided
from Quettaparma Quenyanna [ an extensive English --> Elvish wordlist Aiwendil turned me onto]
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Part....html#Heading6

Way tië (path, course, line, direction, road), #vanda (isolated form Qualvanda "Road of Death" in LT1:264; cf. vand- "way, path" on the same page. Yet vanda means "oath" in UT:317, so this old [TLT] word is doubtful. Use tië, or tëa "road") -TE3/RGEO:67, LT1:264

Escape (vb) usin (glossed "he escapes" in LT:251, but in mature Quenya it would have to mean, if anything, *"I escape" - 1. pers. aorist); ESCAPE (noun) uswë (issue) -LT1:251

If we want to go this route, i have no clue as to the grammar required to put the words together w/ 'of'

I do not know if we have pondered substituting a Quenya for [obsolete] noldorin before. It is out on a limb, but could be at least partially justified in that Idril may well ahve used Q. for a close circle secret.

and we already w/ Elemmacil and Voronwe, quenya names popping up inexplicably in the midst of the general Sindarin and/or sindarinized Quenya.

I will try and give these points the appropriate tags [FG-34 or somesuch] w/ my next post and to collect all of it in order. Sorry for any confusion of presentation.

[ October 06, 2002: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote