View Single Post
Old 10-07-2002, 10:02 AM   #13
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Quote:
so most def the -iath --> iad change is not for us.
For right now, I guess not. I still don't perfectly understand the change, though. Maybe I'll inquire about it on Elfling.

Quote:
also as for the 'rude bear string harp',I say no go. The whole feel of that does not to me match the UT description wherein we here that Tuor was raised even as the princes of the edain by the Sindar of Mithrim. So if anything he may well have had a nice classical stlye sindarin harp.
Agreed.

Quote:
Should we go ahead and post a poll for ORC/K
and la/egolas ?
I'm not so sure the Orc/k matter needs to be cleared up right now; it's really a general change that has nothing to do with the other specific changes in FoG. A Legolas poll might be a good idea, though.

Quote:
I do not know if we have pondered substituting a Quenya for [obsolete] noldorin before. It is out on a limb, but could be at least partially justified in that Idril may well ahve used Q. for a close circle secret.
I'd rather not coin new terms like this, honestly. It's one thing to update a Noldorin name to its Sindarin equivelant; it's another to start playing around with new roots and such. We could try to reconstruct a Sindarin form based on the Quenya in Quettaparma, getting around the problem of mixing Quenya and Sindarin names. That would, however, not be especially valid. I'm for either going with Bad Uthwen or removing the name entirely.

Quote:
Please provide citation for the note where JRRT says that the non-reusing of names is a fixed rule.
Okay, I may have been wrong about this one. I may have had in mind this quote from "Glorfindel II" in PoMe: "No other major characters in the Elvish legends as reported in The Silmarillion and The Lord of the Rings has a name borne by another Elvish person of importance." I may have had another quote in mind that I'm now unable to find.

[ October 07, 2002: Message edited by: Aiwendil ]
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote