View Single Post
Old 10-10-2002, 10:46 PM   #21
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OK back to the texts.

I was reading back over the Principles of editing thread [ and I will need to do it a few more times] but one thing everyone but me [almost everyone] seems to agree on is not substituting any Quenya for Sindarin names, as in
Laiqalasse for Legolas or a quenya Way of Escape, etc. So I will abide by that. I imagine at the least it would create a minor uproar in what might be an otherwise favorable review from the ELF community.

As for Bad Uthwen and Rog, I have serious problems with them as they, as I have said before stand out like sore thumbs. They look and feel like Lost Tales Elvish not mature [LotR and later] Elvish.

Now this is clearly trading into the area of editing principles, and is one area where I do not think any serious consensus was reached the Principles thread.

I know Aiwendil and I have polar views on this, though we see eye to eye on virtually all else, so I suppose a vote is the best way to handle it.

What does everyone think?

How far [if at all] should 'aesthetics' play a part. I use the word to describe things like Rog. As a principle it will come far more heavily into play if there is a stylistic editing phase. But for now there are a few things such as the 2 names in question which to my eyes and ears do not seem/feel like any Elvish in the LotR and beyond Phase.

I will of course abide by the group on this but I wonder of it would be best to vote on the use or not [ and limitations] of Aesthetics/ Archaisms sooner rather than later and then be able to get on w/ things.

Other than those 2 points I am w/ Aiwendil and I think Tirinvo on all changes proposed.

I say we hash these points out to our satisfaction and then move on to pt. 2

[ October 11, 2002: Message edited by: lindil ]

[ October 15, 2002: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote