View Single Post
Old 12-08-2004, 07:52 AM   #5
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
§17b those -> many: "those" did in my reading include the complete band, all the men that had followed Húrin to Menegroth. When I remeber rightly we all agreed that there should be at least the possibility of an expaction. That is what I tried to provide with "many".

§23 RD-EX-26 "the most part" -> "a part" was what I wanted, but I failed to recognise my false editing.

§28c The change from circlet of scarlet leaves to a real crown is in my view not (only) a sign for the change from a poor woodland king to wealthy owner of a treasure. It is for me also the a sign for the change form a erathbound and just ruler of the woodland folk to a cocky and self-righteous king. Therefore I would include it. Think of Thranduil in the Hobbit. He is dicribed: "If the elf-king had a weakness it was for treasure, especially for silver and white gems; and though his hoard was rich, he ever was eager for more, since he had not yet as great a treasure as other elf-lords of old." If his hoard was rich, he could clearly have worne a crown and wield a silver sceptre, but "On his head was crown of berries and red leaves, for autumn was come again. In the spring he wore a crown of woodland flowers. In his hand he held a craven staff of oak." Maybe he followed Thingols excample in wear as he did in building?

§28d "chair" -> "throne": Since any throne is ever also a chair, I would label this change stylistic.

The rest of the changes are either typos of mine or things I forgot to incooperat. Either way I will correct them for the next version.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote