View Single Post
Old 06-07-2002, 09:54 PM   #228
Nar
Wight

Nar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Naaramare: I like your second type 'lateral magic' & I like the way it tangles up the first-- that's interesting.

Aragorn hope you do post your Thorongil story-- I'd like to read it.

Saxony Tarn, interesting taxonomy of magic. Oh yes, I liked ElfQuest.

Laiedheliel, I like your music angle. Someone on another thread mentioned modern dissonance vs classical: do you see different schools of magic? Could dissonant magic ever be good?

Littlemanpoet-- so they get the little bro? Say it isn't so! (although I suspected as much) He gets extracted, right? No, don't tell me. I want to read it! I've got a soft spot for him-- I tutor for (something of a) living, and there's some very sorrowful kids-- oh, would I like to be able to blow Aethelas steam in their faces 'Hey, you're curling the math pages.' 'Nevermind, just breathe, kiddo, breathe!'

I think Aethelas opens a way to a good part of the other side, hence 'smell sweet when bruised' for anyone, and Aragorn with bloodline, strong spirit and training can actually go through and get the wandering soul back instead of just catching a breeze or two from the other side.

Saxony Tarn, on the gender boundaries, I've just created this monster so fearsome I have to hide under the desk and type from there to get him onscreen, and oddly enough, he's male with weirdly feminine feet-- nothing else is feminine, just the feet. I don't think it's going in the scene, though, my heroine's about to fend him off with a smashed pickle jar (don't ask) so she won't be looking at his tiny feet. She's looking at his teeth! No doubt the feet'll turn up later.

Anybody want to share favorite monsters? Traditional or just hints of ones you've invented? Do you like them intelligent & seductivly articulate like Saruman or just big ugly and hungry? Or big beautiful & wild like dragons?