View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #128
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
Which got me wondering whether Billy is the odd one out, as all the other actors/production team have been praising Tolkien, the fans & the books to the skies, but surely, for most of them its first & foremost a job & they may not have any time at all for the book/fans.

And actually, should we care whether they like the book or not, or whether they think the fans are a bunch of sad geeks who can't get a girlfriend/boyfriend? Not everyone is going to like Tolkien, & isn't the most important thing that they play their part well & give the audience a good time? And yet, and yet.... what about the niggling little feeling that when you watch Dain on screen the actor is thinking "I can't believe they're paying me to do this rubbish! Right, now am I a ****** Gink or a ****** Gonk?"
I think Cumberbatch also doesn't particularly like Tolkien, it's just a 'job' to him. But I'm not objecting to him being involved. Personally speaking Connolly does my head in, his comedy seems to consist of a good joke surrounded by hours of shouting, but he should in theory make a good Dwarf. He's good at acting, I'll give him that. Nerwen is right that he probably wants to stir people up a bit, that's the kind of person he is. But the irony is that he's quite close to turning into one of those 1970s gonks anyway...