View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 06:16 AM   #9
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
I don't know about any Biblical parallels with the sinking of Númenor especially since the water never receded. I'd think Thingol + Melian is more like the Angel + Man thing since she was one of the gods and Thingol being an Elf was closely related to Men. Death is the fate of man in Arda. They are thus called the visitors. The Elves on the other hand are immortal so long as Arda endures and even they taste death before that. Eärendil had nothing to do with a flood or drowning, he did fight a dragon in the War of Wrath. Sauron sort of lost his physical form, he could not take pleasing shapes after Númenor's destruction, but he was not disembodied ever after. He took shape more than once after his body was destroyed. Remember the Last Alliance fought an embodied Sauron. Isildur cut the Ring off of his finger at the end of the 2nd Age. In the 3rd Age he was not seen, but not disembodied. Gollum himself even says he saw his four-fingered hand.