View Single Post
Old 09-13-2003, 08:22 PM   #46
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rauthain

Maethor slowly approached saying “What is it, friend Dunedain? What troubles you?” Indeed what was troubling him? He had never spoken of it before. Staring down the road leading away from the inn, he searched for words before speaking.

“A lesson hard learned perhaps…an unwitting betrayal of a brother, resulting in great unhappiness…..”

Maethor looked questioningly at the old ranger, “Betrayal? If unwitting, is it then betrayal? Surely the term is too harsh.”

Looking then into the eyes of the younger man Rauthain said, “ I think you know me not Maethor, though I have seen you in Rivendell. Your instructors spoke highly of you there, a promising student of lore and fine arts as well of the skills of a ranger. You have truly won their affection. But that was many years ago and you have changed greatly in appearance as so, I deem, have I.” Rauthain grinned, stroking his grey mustache. Your memory does not fail you. We were not introduced, and for many years now I have been keeping watch in the fringes of the north. But look, there is Hanasian going back to the inn. Perhaps we should all breakfast, for it may prove an eventful day with little time to eat.”

As Maethor turned to join Hanasian, Rauthain explained that he had some things to attend to before joining them. He meant to see to horse in his charge, but instead circled round searching the ground for any overlooked marks, and upon reaching the back of the stables he found Amandur similarly occupied.