View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 04:50 AM   #6
gondowe
Wight

gondowe has just left Hobbiton.
Hello again,

In the matter of the Narn e-Dant Gondolin I made a division in chapters after the publication of The Children of Húrin, translated more or less:

The birth of Tuor
Tuor slave and outlaw
The call of Ulmo
The arriving at Vinyamar
The speech of Tuor and Ulmo
Voronwë
The quest of Gondolin
The hidden pass
The arriving at Gondolin
Of Tuor in Gondolin and the birth of the New Star
The Treason of Maeglin
The Battle of Gondolin
The Flight of the exiles

In the first part, the “later Tuor”, I don’t remember to have made any change, apart for the chapters.

In the second part, that I remember have made are:

In the matter of the names, I considered the names on this web of the city The seven names Ondolindë, Gondobar, Gondolindrinbar, Gwarestrin, Garthoren, Loth, Gondolin.
The names of the Chieftains of the houses remains the same except Talagand (again I accepted from this web), I think is the only ones we have and can not invent others.
In the polemic mention of Legolas, I changed this one for Galdor that was among the exiles too. I assume this one and Glorfindel are the same as in TLOTR
I changed the word Balrogs for Balrog, omitted the metal in the serpents, goblins for orcs, etc, updating the rest to the well known.

I introduced many sentences and matters from other sources, like mention to Argon Elenwë and Idril in the ice, Gond dolen, the speech of Thorondor and Turgon from TWOH, (speech I resumed in the chapter of “Translations), the history of Enherdil and the Elessar, Anguirel as the sword of Maeglin, Glamdring as the sword of Turgon, the same fate of Maeglin and his father...

Of course there were the changes in geography as the house of Tuor in the north, Cirith Thoronath also in the north, Orfalch Echor, etc.

For the construction of the text, I think I made a good work, but it’s my proud opinion. It can be made in many different forms. But the few texts I’ve read from this web are very similar, not the same, but very similar.

Greetings.
gondowe is offline   Reply With Quote